Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Blast from the past

There are times my daughter can really make me feel old.  Three weeks ago we were in CVS and there is a red corded phone (your standard 70's/80's type that would sit on a table) being used for a display of something that I don't even remember.  She scrunched up her face and looks at me and says, "WHAT IS THAT?!" I gave a little sigh in anguish that she is part of a generation that is in a completely different technology age than when I was growing up.  Ok...and the sigh was because I realized that yes, I am getting old. I explained what it was and just says "That's just so weird!"  Gee, thanks honey.

Today as we are packing up stuff to make this house less cluttered for showings she wanted to help me pack up some CD's.  Thankfully, yes--she knows what CD's are. However, there were a few cassette tapes mixed in and again I get the look and the question, "WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE?!"  I told her that was how I used to listen to music. Her response again was like a knife, "Umm...that's just silly mommy".  Thanks again honey. However, I have to admit that I, myself, started laughing when I was going through these old CD's.  Here is a blast from the past for you that I uncovered today:
  • Snow- and my personal favorite of his (ok, he was a one hit wonder) was Informer, which for some reason I remember playing over and over again on lunch breaks in 8th grade. 
  • No Doubt
  • Backstreet Boys - Just so you know- that's not even my CD, it's my husbands!
  • Paula Abdul
  • MC Hammer - Are you 2 legit to quit?
  • Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch- oh baby!
  • Salt-in-Pepa 
  • Boyz II Men - One of my all time favs! Classic.
  • Naughty by Nature - You down with OPP?
  • EnVogue
  • All-4-One - Whatever happened to the 'boy bands'?
  • La Bouche
  • TLC - I know I always chase waterfalls, do you?
  • Wallflowers
  • Barenaked ladies- I just think of American Pie when I here them
  • Ricky Martin - was dismayed to see my name label on it so I have to admit it is mine and not my husband's
  • Firehouse- Love of a Lifetime- need I say more?
  • Spin Doctors
  • Clay Walker- Man! whatever happened to him. Oh wait, I saw him on an episode of "Selling New York" trying to find a home to buy in NYC. 
Then I sit and debate whether to throw out some of these CD's since I am in a purging kind of mood. Honestly, you just can't do that to good 80's and 90's music. I still keep it alive- my daughter knows all the words to Footloose!

I have also been asked, "Did you watch Spongebob when you were little?" and I reply, "No honey, we had good cartoons." So as my birthday approaches I guess I have to wise up to my age (eh--yes, I know I'm not old) and not tell everyone I am 29. In honor of my birthday why doesn't everyone go out and find something that just isn't around anymore and share with the world. A blast from the past can always put a smile on your face.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for checking me out and becoming a follower! I will certainly follow back.

    ReplyDelete