Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Fresh Blog and Beautiful Butterflies

Six days left of the school year. I can't tell you where this past year went. Even harder is that my little girl will be a third grader. And to think...I told that girl to stop growing up! She never listens.

If you have not noticed already---I changed my blog! Maybe not a huge change but I changed the name of my blog to 'Braving Transition' which means I also changed my web address. It may mess up those who just checked in on my blog by using the web address, but hopefully I can notify some of my followers of the change.  I also tweaked the look of my blog and created a new banner. It needed to be freshened up a bit.  I considered switching web hosts but blogger will do for now. I am not looking to make money off of a blog. This is simply a creative outlet for me.  I love photography, writing, editing, and designing so this allows me a way in which to combine all of my passions. So thank you if you still check in on the blog.

We recently finished up our butterfly house. We usually do this every year but for some reason we forgot last year. We bought our butterfly house several years ago so now I just order the caterpillars through Insect Lore.  The caterpillars arrive in a little container which also has food for them while they grow.  After watching them feed and grow for about 7-10, they hang from the top of the container and form Chrysalides.  We then transfer the paper they are hanging from to the butterfly house and attach the paper to the inside top of the house with a safety pin.  After another 7-10 days they emerge as beautiful butterflies.  We watch them for a few days while putting sugar water on flowers for them to feed.  The best part for my daughter is releasing them.  She stuck her hand in the house and got them to crawl on her finger so she could take them out and let them fly off.

A couple of years ago I did a bucket list for summer activities with kids. I am thinking I may need to do another one for this summer. My daughter only has eight weeks of summer and one week will be spent at my parents so that leaves seven long weeks to fill with activities. However, the neighborhood pool is behind our house and I can tell you where we will be 90% of the time. Any summer fun ideas you have done or plan to do?


Keep caterpillars in the container they come in until they are chrysalides

This is the original kit that we bought

Reusable butterfly house

You can drizzle sugar water on flowers or add fresh fruit to the house






No comments:

Post a Comment